We are trying once again to restart the PV Saturday Signature Rides. Although current rules allow us to organize outdoor recreational activities, things are still not back to normal. Please read these guidelines carefully before deciding to join a PV ride. While we will do our best to keep everyone safe, there are no promises and no guarantees. These guidelines are likely to evolve as guidance from the state changes. We’ll keep you informed.
First and foremost, if you’re not feeling well, please stay home. Even if you feel fine, keep an appropriate distance from other riders. Masks are required for use in the parking lot before rolling out. Masks are optional during the ride itself.
Before the Ride
Plan to arrive shortly before the rollout time. Try to leave some space between your car and other occupied cars on the lot. Different speed groups will stage in different areas of the lot, to maintain some social distancing before we roll out (i.e., 22-24 & 20-22 groups in one area, 18-20 groups in another area, and 16-18 & 14-16 groups in a third area). Check the diagram to determine where your group will gather. Find your speed group and check in with the ride leader.
We will not do the customary full group safety briefing before the rollout. Ride leaders will brief their individual groups.
Group size will be limited to eight riders. Now more than ever, we need good, qualified ride leaders. Please let us know if you are willing to step up and assist. Some groups may not have an official ride leader. Ride leaders will leave additional time between groups when rolling out to avoid bunching up out on the course.
During the Ride
Ride leaders are responsible for the safety of the group and all of its riders. Riders must follow the ride leader’s directions. Riders who do not comply may be asked to leave the group.
During the ride, please follow these safety rules:
- Ride single file only, except when passing another rider. Pass as quickly as possible.
- Pace lines are allowed but leave additional space between you and the rider in front of you.
- Absolutely no spitting, coughing, sneezing, or nose blowing in the pace line. If you must spit or blow, go off the back of the group and out to the side. If you must cough or sneeze, get out of the pace line and do so into your jersey sleeve.
- If you decide to fall back in the pace line, swing further to the left (using caution to make sure there are no vehicles behind you) to allow other riders more room to pass.
- When riding uphill, stay as far to the right as possible to allow other riders more room to pass you. When passing another rider, swing further to the left to allow additional room (consistent with existing traffic conditions).
- Make sure you have the route and carry sufficient tools and supplies so you can take care of any mechanical issues that arise yourself.
- Keep an appropriate distance from other riders when stopped at traffic lights, and during re-groups or rest stops.
After the Ride
Mask up. Please do not linger in the parking lot after the ride. Pack up your gear and leave. Everyone’s health and safety is PV’s primary concern. That is best served by avoiding crowds before, during, and after the ride.